Friday, September 27, 2013

SAT Grammar: The Subjunctive Mood in the Multiple Choice Portion and the Essay (important!)

(Update: For more information, see these Wiki articles on the English subjunctive and Irrealis mood)

I'm not big on using grammar terms, since I don't often find it necessary to invoke fancy-sounding rules to get people to effectively do the SAT writing section. However, more and more students seem to be so familiar with the more common grammar errors (e.g., subject-verb agreement, pronoun reference, tense, etc.) that I'd only be hurting their score if I don't discuss one of the quirkier problems of the writing section. I.e., the subjunctive mood. Here's something they might not already know (thanks, Wikipedia):
The subjunctive mood in English grammar includes particular verb forms that are used in certain clauses, chiefly dependent clauses, to express necessity, desire, purpose, suggestion and similar ideas, or a counterfactual condition.
Here's how the subjunctive mood works:
NECESSITY OR SUGGESTION
It is necessary that you be on time.
I suggest that he see a doctor.

A WISH contrary to fact or unlikely to be fulfilled
Past subjunctive: If I were rich, I would be eating lobster.
Past subjunctive: If he were a doctor, he would know how to operate on the patient.
I wish [that] he were here now.
If only the door were unlocked.
I would rather [that] she were released.

COMPOUND (add "to" infinitive)
Instead of writing "If he was to own a car, he'd be driving me to Memphis", try
"If he were to own a car, he'd be driving me to Memphis". (notice the "to")

There are also NEGATED FORMS:
Instead of using the indicative: "I recommend that they do not enter the competition", try
Subjunctive: I recommend they not enter the competition.
Instead of "You do not need to give me that dirty look", try
Subjunctive: You need not give me that dirty look.

Occasionally, you'll see the PRESENT PERFECT SUBJUNCTIVE:
It is important that he have completed two years of Spanish before high school.

You will also see INVERSIONS
If you had told me about the skunk, I would have avoided that area.
Inverted: Had you told me about the skunk, I would have avoided that area.

If you had drunk the water, you would not have gotten so thirsty.
Inverted: Had you drunk the water, you would not have gotten so thirsty.

If you had applied applied the bandage, you would not have bled so much.
Inverted: Had you applied the bandage, you would not have bled so much.

If you (should) feel hungry, you can grab a sandwich.
Inverted: Should you feel hungry, you can grab a sandwich.

Whether they be friend or foe, ...
Inverted: Be they friend or foe, ...


COMMON PHRASES IN THE SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD
(God) bless you, God save the Queen, heaven forbid, peace be with you, truth be told, so be it, suffice it to say, long live Raymond Chuang, woe betide...

APPLYING THE SUBJUNCTIVE: THE ESSAY CONCLUSION
Check this out. Let's say you're almost done with your essay and you have three to five minutes to write the conclusion. Let's say that the essay is about the necessity of creativity to society or something SAT-ish like that. Here's what I usually do:

Using "whether it be": In this essay, I argued that creativity is essential for human progress. Although such traits as intelligence are conducive to the advancement of mankind, I invoked examples from philosophy and science to show that creativity is still a necessary component of social progress. Whether it be the development of categorical and propositional logic or the invention of the light bulb, human ingenuity is indispensable to our species.
Inverted ("be it"):
Using "be it": In this essay, I argued that creativity is essential for human progress. Although such traits as intelligence are conducive to the advancement of mankind, I invoked examples from philosophy and science to show that creativity is still a necessary component of social progress. Be it the development of categorical and propositional logic or the invention of the light bulb, human ingenuity is indispensable to our species.
Did that sound too archaic? Nah. It just sounds like I deserve a 12/12. If you don't want to use the subjunctive mood, then so be it. (Oh, and woe betide those who have no idea what I am talking about).

2 comments:

  1. I simply couldn’t depart your site before suggesting that I really enjoyed the usual information an individual supply in your visitors? Is going to be again steadily to check out new posts.
    SAT coaching chennai | SAT training centre in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when self-professed SAT agencies spam my defunct site with advertisements written in bad English. First, a compliment. Then the solicitation. Sort of like a shit sandwich that has only one piece of toast.

    ReplyDelete